¡Fiesta Latina! Food, Wine, and Cultural Fair
FREE FOR EVERYONE!
New in 2014, the Canadian Film Institute, with the generous support of Celebrate Ontario, introduces a one-day cultural experience, offered completely free, as part of our 18th Latin American Film Festival.
On Saturday, March 29th, join us at the Library and Archives Canada Building (395 Wellington Street) for ¡Fiesta Latina! and enjoy a wide variety of fare and fun organized by the Canadian Film Institute and provided by Ottawa's own Latin American community, as well as Embassies of Latin American nations:
- gastronomic specialties from local Latin restaurants
- wine sampling from a variety of Latin American wineries
- authentic recipes prepared by Embassy chefs
- locally-produced coffee and chocolate sourced from Latin American beans
- artisinal crafts and textiles
- dance and martial arts performances and demonstrations throughout the day
- folkloric and Latin jazz musical performances
- Spanish-language literature and magazines
- a professionally curated fine art exhibition
- cultural and tourism information on Latin American countries
- a chance to meet and mingle with musicians, filmmakers, and film lovers
LA VIRGEN DE LA CARIDAD
As a special feature of ¡Fiesta Latina!, the Canadian Film Institute presents the Cuban silent film THE VIRGIN OF CHARITY (LA VIRGEN DE LA CARIDAD, dir. Ramón Peón, 1930), with live piano accompaniment from acclaimed Cuban musician Miguel De Armas! Tickets will be sold at the door or in advance at the CFI Box Office. This is a truly unique opportunity to see this rarely-screened film from Cuba's silent film era.